Thursday, August 25, 2011

What is Family

I have had a passion for adoption for so many years - and not because of not having an ability to have children of my own - but simply because there are children in this world, in our own country, on our doorstep - that are in need of love and care. So many people put such a great emphasis on pregnancy and conceiving naturally and I have found that the general consensus about adoption is that it is seen or understood as plan B - when all else fails! Why is it that people have such a negative feeling toward adoption and also many people are so afraid of adoption....I would adopt tomorrow!

Having children and starting a family has been very high on my thought list lately - my husband I are so keen to start a family that we could actually just scream. We have been trying for several months and nothing - I am now 35 years old and not getting any younger. As time passes and my desire to be a mother and start a family is getting greater with each passing day. 

For many years now I have had the conviction in my heart that to give birth to a child does not make you a parent - it is the years that follow that truly make you parents. I may have mentioned this in a previous post. All the emotions that go with being a parent, is a challenge you will face for the rest of your life. Whether your child was born naturally or adopted - the process of being a parent is no different at all. The relationship you spend years developing with your children is the same. The discipline you need to give your children is the same. The love you give your children is the same. All children are the same because all children have one basic need - to be loved and to belong! No matter what colour or race, born to you naturally or adopted!!

My heart is totally for adoption and hopefully - God willing, very soon my husband and I can start the process of adopting. We are at this moment busy with our research and preparations. My Husband - bless his heart - is still in the processing phase, he has fears - which I totally understand. The choice to adopt is not one to be taken lightly - one should allow time and prepare yourself properly.  This is of of the many reasons I love my Husband so - nothing happens with out giving it much thought and being certain. I had these fears too when I first started processing my heart for adoption. My process I guess was made easy with my parents having adopted a little girl when she was 5 months old - she is now in her twenties - we would not be the same family with out her in it...I have had quite a number of years to put my heart at ease with what adoption is and I believe also the reason why I have such and overwhelming passion it - and believe in it.  

My heart is to give a child love... a home, a family. My husband and I have a lot of love to give!!! And, my Husband will be a brilliant father - he has the heart and a child would be so fortunate to call him dad. I am fortunate to be a parent with Him one day. He is the best part of my life and as long as it is us - together - we can tackle anything. 

I am thankful to God for our future family - which ever way He allows that to happen - I look forward to the journey of parenting!

I end off with this thought:

"The meaning of family is not based skin colour, ethnicity, or the cultures of the members. It is based on the love created through those relationships." unknown

No comments: